Friday, April 28, 2006

Act like every day is Yom Kippur

I wonder if Jews would act differently if each day was Yom Kippur. Would Jews stop to atone for the sins that they did the day before and not commit new sins since it was "Everyday Yom Kippur"? Or, would Jews continue to sin on "EverydayYom Kippur" and seek to atone on "Everyday Yom Kippur" for the very sins they did that very day.

I have come to the conclusion that there are some Jews that simply do not believe that they must atone for anything, because they are above reproach. They do not make mistakes and they do not have to follow the rules since they simply do not apply to them.

So, the concept of "Everyday Yom Kippur" would be a complete waste of time for these people that are clearly better than the rest of us. In fact, the real Yom Kippur is probably just an opportunity for these individuals to look around and see the people that are sinners, because they simply are not.

I petition all of you regular everyday Jews, who try to follow the rules, to think about the fact that only G-d is perfect. Only G-d makes the rules and governs. No one human is perfect. Those who live in glass houses simply should not throw stones.

I would hope that before any more stones are thrown by anyone, they first think about the potential broken glass that is going to be everywhere.


Shalom. Jeremy

2 comments:

JEREMY said...

Thank-you for your comments. Since this blog is a continuing record of my thoughts on certain issues, and it will remain subject to inspection for years to come, I have tried to keep the content acceptable to be read and reread by all. That is not to say a guest writer seeks to submit a blog entry, or, at some point in time I need to explain things in a different way.

JEREMY said...

Thank-you for your comments. I believe there is a proper forum for discussion of issues. I also am a firm believer in following protocol and procedure. If some readers consider my thoughts too cryptic, they are free to write in and or become a guest writer. I think the issue goes beyond what the comments here discuss. Instead, it is an issue of the rule of law and proper leadership to grow the congregation, not divide it. There, I said that. Shalom Jeremy