Friday, April 14, 2006

The News cycle...

A reviews of some recent news stories can leave a reader exhausted. Everything from renaming concentration camps, reinvading Gaza, threats of annihilating Israel, nuclear proliferation, threats of invading Iran... not to mention energy prices, the loss of American manufacturing, the US Car industry; what does it all mean and what can we do about it?

Well, I suggest that to improve the world, we have to start at home. Think about what we can do to make our own homes and community better. Think about and act upon what can make our lives have more meaning and purpose.

What can we, as Jews and residents of Westchester and Putnam Counties do to make our part of the world a little safer, a little sweeter, a little kinder and a place where we can seek shelter from the storms of the outside world?

As a rabbi's son, I may, from time to time, come across as someone who wants to sermonize and use this blog as my pulpit. Certainly, a portion of this blog is devoted to persuasion and trying to provoke thought. I will concede that. But so what?

I am not using this blog to attack people. I am not using this blog to find fault with specific members of FHC. I am using this blog to express opinions and ideas that many of you, I am pleased to say, have told me are correct and must be said.

So, if we all would try a little compassion, decency, understanding, forgiveness and respect, we may be able (like this blog, free of charge), feel that the crazy, dangerous, violent, thoughtless, disrespectful, unforgiving outside world is not invading our homes, our community and our house of worship.

We must never quit, never resign ourselves to defeat in our search for a better world.

Shalom. Jeremy

No comments: