Monday, May 08, 2006

The grass is not always greener on the other lawn

Having just returned from Buffalo NY from a Bar Mitzvah weekend I was pleased to hear from individuals who had recently been to FHC for a Bar Mitzvah the very weekend before. Certain guests of the Buffalo Bar Mitzvah who were also guests of the FHC Bar Mitzvah advised me, without being asked, how much they enjoyed the FHC service, the Rabbi's words and conduct and how "hamish" the service was.

Somewhat in contrast, I sat through the service of the temporary Rabbi in the Conservative shul in Buffalo and was a bit surprised when he made an analogy that praying to G-d was similar to the Red phone between Soviet Union and USA. I am sure the kids did not understand it and I personally felt that the analogy was somewhat disturbing since he went on to discuss the idea that one side did not mean to shoot off its nuclear missiles and the other side should try not to retaliate. There were other comments that I found somewhat disturbing, but, that may be how I perceived them. Maybe, I am not used to his style and methods of keeping the service interesting and the congregants awake. Maybe I would come to appreciate his style and his methodology. Nevertheless, I was advised that the Buffalo shul only has this rabbi on a short term contract.

I have found that because of our current society and its lack of values, we tend to look at people as commodities instead of people. We tend to place economic values on people based upon their strata in their culture. We tend to use people as commodities as selling points or as a reason not to be happy with an institution. We tend to have a chronic discontent with everything and must seek to have the newest things, try the newest fads, drive the newest cars, and so forth.

No longer is hamish, honesty, decency, truthfulness the traits we hold dear. Instead we look at people in a superficial way, only looking at the outward value and not the inward value.

I do not suggest that we are all guilty of this. I merely posit that merely because one lawn is greener, lusher and without weeds does not make it a better lawn. The lawn with weeds and weak areas of grass may be herbicide and pesticide free and a place where the children can play without fear of Cancer or other chemical related illness. Maybe, just maybe, the grass that is not so green, not so perfect in its outward appearance, is simply a better lawn, safer and more user friendly.

Shalom. Jeremy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

here, here. Well said, beautifully said

JEREMY said...

Thank-you. I continue to receive positive comments directly by e-mail which, unfortunately, I cannot share here.

Shalom. Jeremy