Monday, June 04, 2007

Should the Blog take a hiatus?

It has been suggested to me by at least one member of FHC that maybe the blog should take a hiatus if I become President of FHC. I am somewhat conflicted on the issue since I have been doing it for over two years.

I believe that the blog has been, overall, a plus for FHC members and their friends. At the same time, I can understand that using the blog for something more than an outlet for information/pictures, may be a distraction if I am President. I have been known from time to time to sermonize (or something akin to that).

I welcome reader comments, by e-mail. (Apparently most readers communicate with me by e-mail as opposed to leaving comments on the blog.) I would like your thoughts on whether I should place the blog on hiatus, limit the content to certain things during the next two years, or continue to use the blog as a bully pulpit for the opinions I hold near and dear to me.

Please advise this blogger...

Shalom.

Jeremy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jeremy,

I don't see why you should have to take a blog-hiatus just because you become president. We just started a blog for my union, which I'm the prez of, and I plan on sermonizing as much as possible from it. Like you, I have a column in our newsletter also. But I think if a person has a message to get across, s/he should use any forum available. I don't see the conflict of interest.

Shalom,
Jen Cole

Unknown said...

I don't see a reason to take a hiatus. I trust that you will police yourself and know where the line is.

rabbik said...

Nothing wrong with the president having a "bully pulpit" as long as he/she is not acting as a bully and/or from the pulpit.

A president must have the freedom to communicate with the membership on matters of concern both through congregational channels (as the bulletin) or outside ones (as the blog) understanding -as you do- that he/she can never really put aside the congregational president hat.

However, the pulpit is the province of the rabbi and lay-leaders should tread there respectfully and with proper reverence for the holy precincts, as our tradition teaches.